Thursday, February 6, 2014

Week 5 - 48 Weeks

Week 5 – 48 Weeks
‘She went out on a limb, had it break off behind her, and discovered she could fly’ (author unknown)
There is a tree not far from where I live. A couple of months a year a lace flower tree blooms at its base.  Last year it was in the shape of a heart.  I collected tiny branches from my yard and painted them antique white and then proceeded to sew them on to a canvas and to embroider the lace flower tree.  I didn’t get very far with this project.  As soon as I saw the tree theme for this week, I immediately thought of my unfinished project.  I cut the tree from the canvas as best as I could and applied to my journal page.  As I had sewn the twigs on to the canvas, it was difficult to do any fussy cutting.  I decided that the left-over canvas could represent the tree trunk with broken branches. Whew – that was a long explanation, but it is how my project for this week was thought out, originally.
I must say I am not happy with the outcome.  The left hand side looked out of sync, so I added a tree swing similar to that which my daughter used when small.  I was aiming for a ‘lighter’ piece, but decided to follow the background and paint splotches and drips and changed my mind many times, too many times I think – I ‘overthought’ the project towards completion.  Oh well – cant be happy with every project I suppose. 
I wasn’t going to post it, but thought that every project is a learning process, so I will concentrate on the positives i.e. the delight of seeing the ‘heart’ tree every time I drove by for a few weeks and memories of all the fun my daughter had on her log swing.

Looking forward to week 6 
PS:  I have reviewed the project (in hindsight) and have decided I quite like the outcome :)








No comments:

Post a Comment