Saturday, July 13, 2013

'Thank You' folder

My daughter and I collected her wedding dresses and the bridesmaids dresses today.  I collected my mother of the bride outfit last weekend.

In order to thank our fantastic dressmaker, Jeanette McCullough, I made a vintage type shabby folder with our thank you note and payment added to pockets on the inside. I really enjoyed creating this project, and it was our way of saying 'thank you' in a memorable way.  

Jeanette is an extremely talented dressmaker, and an absolute joy to work with.  My daughter and I did not worry about the outcome at all knowing all of our dresses (including outfit for the mother of the groom) were in safe and capable hands.


I did not measure the final size of the folder, but it is approximately 8 1/2 " x 4"
Front of folder pre-ribbon addition
I obtained the vintage image from Pinterest and once again, perfectly suited this project
(my mother of the bride outfit has similar colours)

Finished project with the ribbon
I 'made' a chipboard template for the folder and covered with fabric canvas and then 
added another chipboard spine on the inside to strengthen

I used some damask ivory fabric from my stash as the next layer and then added a layer of white cheesecloth over the top (I find this gives a lovely 'cushion' effect for the next layer)

View of back 
At this point I lay the damask fabric flat and commence building layers of fabric and lace and intermittently add to base to check placement of lace layers etc (I sometimes use other embellishments on larger projects)

This is a view of the inside cover with a tag I distressed with inks and finished off
by printing our thank you note onto sticky back canvas and adhering to tag.
Added some beautiful soft pink crinkly ribbon to the top of the tag

So glad this project has gone to a fabulous home, and once again,
our very sincere thanks Jeanette :)





1 comment: