Sunday, April 21, 2013

'DREAM' SIGN MAKEOVER

I was visiting my favourite brick and mortar store, Bella Paperie and saw this beautiful sign.  Was very eager to get it home and up on my Craft Studio wall
It looked very nice leaning up against my embellishment storage area

Found the 'perfect place' for the sign and hung on the wall
As I am not looking to repaint the room any time soon, I thought it looked a bit lost
So I took it down, pondered a little, and decided to highlight with Faber Castell markers

At this point, I decided to add some flower vines (Prima I think) so attached them to Dream with hot glue and then continued to add colour with my pens

I then highlighted the edges of the letters with a grey shadow and decided to rehang on the wall

Was quite happy with this for a couple of weeks, but still felt it was 'lost' on the wall.
When I was working on my craft mat I liked the background colour with Dream on the top, so decided to mount Dream onto a canvas (92cms x 46cms)

I bought some Kaisercraft wrapping paper to cover the canvas thinking it would be the correct colour I wanted to achieve as my background

and experimented with placement etc

Used Express-it tape to adhere the paper to the canvas

The paper is a lovely colour with a subtle floral pattern, but was still not quite the colour I was trying to achieve, 
so out came the fabric . . . 

This was the colour I was looking for.  I 'think' the fabric is a georgette. Very light - and looked 'just right' over the top of the paper and it gives a lovely texture to an otherwise flat background.
I added the fabric to the canvas with my staple gun using 8mm staples
I added some little butterflies (Pink Paislee - Hope Chest range)

and coloured the centre pearls with Copic marker R21 to blend more with my theme

Side view of finished 'make-over'

I attached Dream to the covered canvas with some brads and re-coloured them with Copic Marker BG11. I secured to the back of the canvas with some hot glue where the brads came through, and also sewed some string through the top scrolls to secure more firmly
Close up view of finished canvas

Added some brads (cut off the backs first) to the corners of the canvas with hot glue to finish the project
The canvas is now on the wall looking beautiful and no longer 'lost'

Unfortunately was unable to get a photo of the true colour of the finished project as the photo was taken in the
afternoon with the sun streaming through the window








6 comments:

  1. Hello Rita - that looks absolutely stunning with your transformation. In fact, it was rather lovely before your transformation but I agree, it was lost on the wall. I love what you have done with it and the colours you have used & I also adore your little collection of "vintage" on the shelves below it. Hope you are all good,- glad you are finding some creative time, Love Julie Xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie xoxo
    (will send an email soon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rita! This looks stunning, I love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete