Saturday, February 23, 2013

ANNIE'S JOURNAL

With a wedding this year, I wanted to create a journal cover for my daughter using classic soft colours and bits and pieces incorporating the old, new and meaningful.

I purchased a strong standard size journal from a stationery store measuring approximately 21.5cms x 31cms.  The base cover is constructed from fabric canvas which is strong enough to  sew, glue and add as many layers as you wish.  The advantage of a removable cover for this purpose is two-fold.  Can be removed to add journal entries (to keep it clean), and can also be reused once the original journal is full.

This journal has a beautiful 'feel' to it and it was a joy to put together.


 Finished journal cover
(unfortunately not the best of photos)
Note:  The image of the tulips is a Tim Smith Composition and was found on Pinterest 
I altered the colour of the image using the Paint Net progam and printed onto sticky-back white canvas.  I outlined with black pen and sewed the base of the flowers with cotton string


Close up of the middle front
the buttons are extremely old - they were my mothers (who was also called 'Annie') and are a very sentimental addition.  I like how they 'shine' in certain light
The buttons were sewn on to an offcut of raw silk



 In this top view, you can see the many layers used
To 'soften' I covered the base cover with cheesecloth fabric and then built the lace and other layers on top of that.  I used a lot of machine sewing to provide a 'quilted' look, even though an eclectic one.

Bottom right hand side of front

 Back of journal
(photo does not do justice to the original)
I dyed the lace along the bottom with Glimmermist sprays
The fabric across the top with the pearl sprays is an off cut of some wedding fabric I found somewhere - it is a beautiful light coffee colour on a fine mesh

Close up of the back.  
More buttons sewn on a heart shape which was mounted on tea dyed muslin

 Close up of the bottom front. 
 Sewed some canvas 'buttons' onto some lace.  The very old worn lace was cut from an old lace dress purchased from eBay.  Some of the newer lace pieces were obtained from Bella Paperie and the rest from my supplies


Matching bookmark 
using fabric canvas and lace pieces with some crinkly rayon ribbon at the top





2 comments:

  1. Thanks Anne - my next journal cover is on my desk to be completed

    ReplyDelete