Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tinting Glass Jars

After seeing lots of glass maison jar tinting on Pinterest, decided to give it a go using a couple of different methods to establish which one would work the best.  My favourite in this case is the Cranberry tinted bowl.

The 'bowl' section of this container is 5" tall
The 'recipe' called for Mod Podge, water, and blue and red food colouring
I played around until I was happy with the tone (hard to tell when it looks like thick paste at this stage)

Because the bowl is so large, the drying process was very slow, but I was patient and just watched in fascintation as the tinted glass emerged


Ta da - finished drying overnight - really like how the colour turned out for this one

I used 'tacky' white glue for this one and added water and blue and green food colouring
Not as happy with the consistency of this one (quite thick - will add more water next time)

Canning jar commencing drying process

Whilst I like the colour of this one, wasnt happy with the end result, (the pattern on the glass is in the glass, not bubbles caused by tinting)


For the two smaller jars (from Ikea) I painted them on the outside, and find they are a bit 'tacky' to touch even when dry - in the tuturial I followed for these the colour was described as 'Sea Glass'.  The benefit of painting on the outside it that you can very carefully add water to the inside of the container and add real flowers

Overall, happy with outcomes, and it was certainly fun to try!
Food dye is very hard to remove from skin :)

Until next time



No comments:

Post a Comment