Thursday, December 15, 2011

She Art Girls

I have procrastinated for some time as to whether I would add my 'Girls' to my blog, but have decided to share what I have been doing, learning, enjoying for the past few weeks in any spare time available.

Just to set the tone . . . I signed up for the She Art Workshop taught by Christy Tomlinson from Scarlet Lime in April 2011.  Work and other commitments took priority for a while and then I decided, I really needed to 'get into' and 'learn' something I have wanted to do all of my adult life i.e. using and utilising all types of art mediums, tools and the like.  These past few weeks have been an enjoyable experience of learning, creating and finding some 'She Art' buddies along the way.
This is my 'Holiday Girl' - I like to think of her as my Christmas Angel.  She is my lastest 'creation', but am adding her first . . .

This is the 'full page' view of my She Art Holiday Girl.  I used some beautiful Christmas scrapbooking paper as the base, and then added an old sewing pattern over the top.  The 'wings' were from Dover Design and the top of the dress and skirt is taken from a calendar image from my stash (turned upside down, so that the flower is the skirt and the leaves the bodice of the dress).  Added a little bling to the flowers on the skirt to get into the Christmas spirit

This is my 'She Art' girl close up of the top.  Used some very old gold/silver holly leaves, and then the red berries were saved from a Christmas gift basket received recently.  I poked a hole through the canvas and then threaded the stalks of the berries to the back, which I then taped with masking tape.  The 'cosy' jacket is made up of Tim Holtz ribbon with a little bit of bling added

Close up of the wing.  Added  some Stickles in varying colours to enhance the wings.
For the raised background I used a stencil, modelling paste (mixed with white ink, glitter and topped with Mica flakes before drying) 
Added some beautiful 'wedding' lace in a coffee colour to the top left hand side, then added gesso, paint, and various rollagraphs using Stazon Ink in blue

A side view of the finished Holiday Girl.  Tore up strips of muslin cloth and glued on to all external surfaces.  Then I inked and added gesso until happy with outcome.

Am so happy with the final result of my mixed media She Art Holiday Girl.

PS:  will add my other 'Girls' soon
thanks to Christy Tomlinson for fabulous classes, fantastic tutorials, and incredible PDF's to download

PPS:  the words say:  'She listened to her heart above all other voices'



1 comment: