Monday, April 25, 2011

Cuckoo Clock (Kaisercraft)

It has been a while since I completed a board project.  As soon as I saw this clock at the Kaisercraft store at Browns Plains, I knew this would be my next project.  I went to the store to check out the 'Secret Bird Society' patterned papers, so naturally once I found the paper and really liked it, the clock was the next logical step, for me anyway.

Had so much fun during the creation, trying new techniques and sanding away.  How relaxing!


Couldnt successfully get a full photo of the clock with the 'chimes' hanging from the chains in the garden setting, and the colours were lost once hung on the wall, so I took a separate photo of the 'chimes'


Attached the chains to the clock and 'chimes' with long stemmed brads and then sealed the back of them so they would not shift


Another view from the back deck

Decided to keep the bird, butterflies and tree in their natural form rather than paint or stain and quite like the finished look - suited the paper without being overpowering

These are the initial work in progress photos.  Rather than paint the frame and accessories, decided to stain with Tim Holtz Distress Stains.  This worked out well as I was able to obtain the rustic look I was after and the drying time was simply amazing!


It wasnt until I looked at the picture which accompanied the clock that I realised I had placed the 'clock face' behind the main board, rather than in the front.  It was far too late to pull it all apart!  I don't think it makes a noticeable difference to the finished clock .

To complete the clock I used:
Kaisercraft Secret Bird Society patterned paper
Kaisercraft wooden bird on a branch
Kaisercraft doiley (mounted the bird on the doiley so I could add 3 feathers behind)
TPC Studio - rub ons and metal charms
Scrapmatts tree and leaves; random butterflies from stash; chain from jewellery section at Spotlight
Tim Holtz Distress stains Walnut and Vintage Photo
Pearls from stash coloured with Copic markers
and . . . lots of 'baby wipes' for my hands and a very big apron :) 



 loving the public holidays - time to complete works in progress and to commence new projects!

2 comments: