Sunday, April 10, 2011

Canvas for me

I have finally finished this project which commenced at a scrapbooking retreat I attended at the end of March 2011. 

We had to complete a layout (could copy or alter the layout provided), but the challenge was to decorate the bird, the main criteria being the use of identifiable paper from the kit provided and then anything that took our fancy.  Prior to the challenge I thought about what I wanted to do and then one morning awoke with the design in my head (a friend thought it was an ephinany?).  Then I set off to find all the goodies to try and replicate the design I had thought about  (not having seen the kit at this stage).  I bought some feathers used for fascinators and was staggered at the cost of them . . . but well worth it.

This was the challenge:


I was thrilled that the colours of the papers in the kit incorporated pinks, greens and browns!

This is my completed project - finally finished today - mounted onto a canvas and using a couple of layers of distressed art paper behind the main layout:



I didnt want to photograph with the light box, so took it out on the deck - quite like the look although not of photographic quality


The die cut is one I borrowed at the retreat (Marianne Creatables) and seemed to really suit the layout and the sentiment I wanted to hang from it (I printed onto some cardstock and then coloured with a few Distress inks) and I hung from the die cut with some twine



The photo of the tree and fence is a bit blurry unfortunately.  As part of the challenge, we were provided with the cut out of the tree and fence and I added texture paste, let it dry, and then stamped with distress inks and sprayed with a couple of different colours of Glimmermist

This is the finished bird, the photo I used (couldnt believe we had to use a 'brick stamp' and there were bricks behind me in the photo (me you say - yes, me - taken in 1968 at my brother's wedding)

This is the bottom left hand side of the finished layout.  I made the flowers and added buttons mounted on top of each other and some of my simple stick pins

here are a couple of close ups of the bird:


This a close up of the wing (which was added separately)


I took this photo by leaning up agaist some flowers (not part of the layout)

Doiley cut up and gathered, and coloured with Distress inks to suit project

better close up of textured  tree trunk and fence

Bottom of canvas showing lace and layers stamped, torn and distressed



PS:  thanks Shan for a terrific challenge and a great retreat!
I love birds, so this project meant a lot to me, as does the photo


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous Rita. LOVELY, all the texture you have there and I'm sure it is so much better in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rita! Fantastic! And I am still looking at that photo trying to see the you I know!!

    ReplyDelete